Lexus compact crossover based on the UX could debut in Geneva

31 January 2018 - Autoblog

Lexus compact crossover based on the UX could debut in Geneva

We have but one line to go on, from Car magazine's section on Lexus in the rundown of Geneva Motor Show reveals: "Baby SUV not yet confirmed, but word is that a Lexus small crossover based on UX concept is due."

Actually, there's a tad more than hearsay to add to that line: Lexus International EVP Yoshihiro Sawa said one year ago that the carmaker already approved a production version of the UX, and that it is "not so far away."

The trail goes cold there, though, when trying to divine what a civilian UX would look like. The production model should borrow its platform and some organs from the Toyota C-HR, which rides on the TNGA bones also shared with the Prius. Yet the UX concept, shown at the 2016 Paris Motor Show, warped so many dimensions it belongs in the coming Avatar sequels or a "Time Bandit" reboot. Chapeau to the designers for compressing so much action in so little space; at 173.2 inches long, 74.8 inches wide, and 59.8 inches tall, on a 103.9-inch wheelbase, the UX concept was a smidge larger than an Audi Q3, a smidge smaller than the Mercedes GLA. A retail crossover based on the concept would need to give up 93 percent of the UX's character, but that remaining 7 percent would still be powerful — especially when you add a big ol' spindle grille.

And why not? Crossovers constitute the majority of Lexus' U.S. sales, and Lexus seriously seeks the younger buyers who can't get enough compact crossover bait. And the production UX would provide a new entry-level vehicle to challenge entrants in the GLA and BMW X1 class, where the Germans and other carmakers are minting money. 

News By Tags

A1A2ACAPAcidentealfa romeoAlfa Romeo GiuliaAlgarveAljustrelAmaranteappleArcos de Valdevezaston martinauctionaudiAudi A3Audi A4Audi A6Audi e-tronAudi q8Audi Rs4Audi Rs6BarreiroBejabentleybikebikesBMWBMW 2 SeriesBMW 4 SeriesBMW 8 seriesBMW M3BMW M4BMW m5BMW X3BMW X5BMW x7bmw z4bombeirosBragaBrasilBrazilBrexitBugattibuying guideCabrioCaminhaCampeonato de Portugal de KartingCampeonato Nacional de Velocidadecar rentCarlos GhosnCarro elétricocarros usadosCarta de conduçãoCascaisCastelo BrancochinaChryslercitroenclassicclassic carclassicsCoimbraconvertiblecoronavirusCrash Testcrash testsCristiano RonaldoCupraCupra Formentorcustom cardaciaDacia DusterDacia Sanderodieseldiesel scandaldieselgatedrag raceDucatielectricEMELemissionsEspanhaEspinhoEstacionamentoestradasEUEuropaeuropeevFafeFaroFCAFederação de Motociclismo de PortugalFerrariFiatFiat 500Fiat 500eFiat 500XFiat PandafordFord FiestaFord Focusformula 1FranceFrankfurt Motor ShowGenesisGeneva Motor ShowGermanyGNRGondomarGoogleGovernoGuimarãeshondaHonda CivichybridHyundaiHyundai i20Hyundai TucsonISVitaliaItalyJaguarjeepJeep CompassJeep GladiatorJeep WranglerkiaLA Auto ShowLamborghiniLancialand roverLand Rover DefenderLand Rover DiscoveryLeirialexusLisboaLisbonLotusLouléMaçãoMadeiraMaiaMarco de CanavesesMatosinhosmatrículasmazdaMazda CX-5Mazda MiataMcLarenMercado automóvelmercedesMercedes A-classMercedes S-ClassmetrominiMini CooperMini CountrymanMini John Cooper WorksMitsubishiMitsubishi OutlanderMorganMOTOCROSS E ENDUROmotorcyclemotorsportNew York Auto ShownissanNissan LeafNissan QashqaiOlhãoopelOpel AstraOpel CorsaOpel MokkaOvarPalmelaparcómetrosParedesPenafielPeugeotPeugeot 208Peugeot 508Peugeot 508 SWpickuppolicePonte de LimaPorschePorsche 911Porsche CayennePorsche MacanPorsche TaycanportagensPortoPortugalProdução automóvelPSAPSPradaresRalicrossRamRange RoverrecallrenaultRenault CapturRenault DusterRenault MeganeRenault Zoerent a carrestorationsafetysafety ratingsSafety testsSamsungSanta Maria da FeiraSantaremseatSeat CupraSeat LeonSeat TarracoSergio MarchionneSetubalSintraskodasmartSmart ForTwospainspy shotsStellantissubarusupercarssuvsuzukitaxitechnologyteslaTesla Model 3Tokyo Motor ShowtoyotaToyota Hiluxtoyota supraToyota YarisTroféu BetatrucktuninguberukUnited StatesUSAused car buying guideValençaValongovendasVendas de carrosViana do CasteloVieira do MinhoVila Nova de FamalicãoVila Nova de GaiaVila RealVila VerdeViseuvolkswagenVolkswagen GolfvolvoVolvo XC40vwVW CaddyVW golfVW PoloVW T-RocYamaha